REAL WORLD EVENT DISCUSSIONS

The Day Einstein Feared Has Finally Arrived

POSTED BY: 1KIKI
UPDATED: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 18:35
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 5010
PAGE 1 of 2

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:27 PM

1KIKI

Goodbye, kind world (George Monbiot) - In common with all those generations which have contemplated catastrophe, we appear to be incapable of understanding what confronts us.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:09 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


OMG!!

#totescraycray!

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen

I'm just a red pill guy in a room full of blue pill addicts.

" AU, that was great, LOL!! " - Chrisisall

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:08 AM

JO753

rezident owtsidr


Awesum! Einstien wuz the REAL Nostradamus!

I tried to link to a related video - The iPhone 5 is for food photography - but it duznt work.

Linking to Youtube iz getting to be a crapshoot.


----------------------------
DUZ XaT SEM RiT TQ YQ? - Jubal Early

http://www.nooalf.com

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, December 26, 2014 3:05 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:03 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Last week on Amazing Race, one couple who had already missed about 6 or 7 trains, and was about 5 trains behind the leaders, were booked for a bullet train and were taking a selfie with the train in their background when it took off, without them on it.
Yes, they were eliminated by the end of the day.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 7:13 AM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Hmmm... reality TV versus the "selfie" culture.
Reality TV WINS!!!

We're doomed.

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 8:01 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


OMG! Change! How old are you people? Just because you can't figure how to actually use your phones you want to dump on the young people, on a forum no less - crassic.
Young people who are out with their friends, at the museum, at the stadium, driving around in a rad convertible... yeah, they look pathetic.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 8:03 AM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Yes, you are pathetic. So mesmerized by the reflection of yourself in an electronic mirror that reality just slips past you... and occasionally blindsides you.

And me?

I'm just pointing and laughing.

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 2:15 PM

JONGSSTRAW

We carry in our hearts the true country, and that cannot be stolen.


Been to a Starbucks? It's like The Walking Dead/Stepford Wives in there. Always cracks me up.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:12 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
OMG! Change! How old are you people? Just because you can't figure how to actually use your phones you want to dump on the young people, on a forum no less - crassic.
Young people who are out with their friends, at the museum, at the stadium, driving around in a rad convertible... yeah, they look pathetic.


Does anybody know if this post is satire or caricature? Or does G want to be at the same intersection as the driver of a 5 ton truck piloted by a young person ignoring the stopsign/red light in favor of their facebook update or tweet?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:15 PM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Yes, you are pathetic. So mesmerized by the reflection of yourself in an electronic mirror that reality just slips past you... and occasionally blindsides you.

And me?

I'm just pointing and laughing.



0_o Whatever granny - try not to break anything.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 5:23 PM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by G:
OMG! Change! How old are you people? Just because you can't figure how to actually use your phones you want to dump on the young people, on a forum no less - crassic.
Young people who are out with their friends, at the museum, at the stadium, driving around in a rad convertible... yeah, they look pathetic.


Does anybody know if this post is satire or caricature? Or does G want to be at the same intersection as the driver of a 5 ton truck piloted by a young person ignoring the stopsign/red light in favor of their facebook update or tweet?




Niether - it's criticism. As people age they become more and more reluctant to change, to learn new things, and often become crabby, lazy simpletons. They live in the past because it's easier.

Texting is illegal in almost all states, and most states have introduced bans on use of cell phones while driving. I hope that becomes law soon as well.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-tex
ting-while-driving-laws.aspx

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 9:03 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
OMG! Change! How old are you people? Just because you can't figure how to actually use your phones you want to dump on the young people, on a forum no less - crassic.
Young people who are out with their friends, at the museum, at the stadium, driving around in a rad convertible... yeah, they look pathetic.



Seems you're missing the point.

They're in the physical vicinity of their friends, but are they really WITH them ?

I think Einstein may have secretly figured out time travel. Or he had an actual Palaintiri, or seeing-stone.

Or he was just pretty darn smart.




NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, March 6, 2015 10:02 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Quote:

Niether - it's criticism. As people age they become more and more reluctant to change, to learn new things, and often become crabby, lazy simpletons. They live in the past because it's easier.
YO! DUDE!
That's what YOU think!

I work in a lab ... an analytical lab. We use computers all the time for things you haven't even dreamt of. Not only do we use computers, we have to change with the technology. In my working lifetime we've gone from wet chemistry with some instrumentation, to instrumentation, to advanced automation, to databasing the data and fully networking our lab, to exploring crowd-sourced environmental data (from citizen iPhones).

I've troublshot more "technology" than you can shake a stick at. For sure, I know more about "technology" than you do, and probably more about computers. (HINT: Have you built your own? Ever written a progam?) Clearly, I know how to access the internet. I can do searches. I can view Twitter all I want.

What I DON'T do is check my Twitterfeed 1200 times an day, or constantly check in with my FB friends, or post the latest drunken stupor on Instagram.

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:19 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
I work in a lab ... an analytical lab. We use computers all the time for things you haven't even dreamt of. Not only do we use computers, we have to change with the technology. In my working lifetime we've gone from wet chemistry with some instrumentation, to instrumentation, to advanced automation, to databasing the data and fully networking our lab, to exploring crowd-sourced environmental data (from citizen iPhones).

I've troublshot more "technology" than you can shake a stick at. For sure, I know more about "technology" than you do, and probably more about computers. (HINT: Have you built your own? Ever written a progam?) Clearly, I know how to access the internet. I can do searches. I can view Twitter all I want.



Awww, that's real nice! *pats little Signym on the head*



The fact that you think those are standout achievements only emphasizes your backwardness. It's funny to hear you boast about things so definitively when you have no clue who you are talking with... wait... I mean it's just empty-headed bravado.

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
What I DON'T do is check my Twitterfeed 1200 times an day, or constantly check in with my FB friends, or post the latest drunken stupor on Instagram.



Spoken like a true grandma - "Those darn kids! Get off my lawn!"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:43 AM

ANONYMOUSE


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
What I DON'T do is check my Twitterfeed 1200 times an day, or constantly check in with my FB friends, or post the latest drunken stupor on Instagram.



Finally, someone's said it!!! This is what's currently driving me mad at work!

I work in a warehouse, loading white goods onto trailers and vans. This by necessity is a team effort, the team consisting of a picker, a forklift driver (who moves the goods to the loading bay once they're picked), a scanner to check the goods are correct before loading, and two loaders, of whom I am one. But what kind of "team" has the other loader and/or the scanner twittering away when they're supposed to be working?! I once saw my fellow loader on his phone doing whatever in the middle of loading a washer onto the trailer! I've seen a forklift driver doing the same WHILE HE WAS DRIVING!!! GAAAHHH!!!

I hate what smartphones and Twitter/Facebook/whatever have done to our society! Einstein was right!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:01 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


The lure of the 'net, of being connected, via social media or just checking stocks,scores, weather, etc... can be addicting. I see it everywhere. At football games,concerts, what not... folks " connecting " with their friends and family, the ones who AREN'T there, more than those who are actually sitting next to them.

It's when people do this sort of stuff while driving, ...



NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 1:19 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


http://xkcd.com/1348/

“Before the Internet we watched DAYTIME TV. Do you realize how soul-crushing it was? I'd rather eat an iPad than go back to watching daytime TV.”

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 4:18 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!



The parade of " Judge Judy / Divorce Court " type shows during the day time has melted the psyche and soul, of so many millions of Americans.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 5:12 PM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:
The lure of the 'net, of being connected, via social media or just checking stocks,scores, weather, etc... can be addicting. I see it everywhere. At football games,concerts, what not... folks " connecting " with their friends and family, the ones who AREN'T there, more than those who are actually sitting next to them.



Yeah, that's so sad being connected to so many people as opposed to just the ones sitting next to us... < / snarkasm > Imagine if we never communicated with any people here... from so many different countries... so many divergent points of view... ?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 5:36 PM

1KIKI

Goodbye, kind world (George Monbiot) - In common with all those generations which have contemplated catastrophe, we appear to be incapable of understanding what confronts us.


The fact that you think those are standout achievements only emphasizes your backwardness. It's funny to hear you boast about things so definitively when you have no clue who you are talking with... wait... I mean it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how? The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts. You revealed something about yourself maybe you should have kept hidden. So, is this like a lot of your other 'facts' you so proudly post?

FWIW - in 1974 I was backplaning a computer. Oh, you don't know what that means? Poor baby. Four years later I was writing a LIMS. Don't know what that is either? Look it up. Now I'm upgrading our system to (securely) network with 'the cloud'.

And that you are so adamantly defensive of you and the others who ceaselessly tweet drivel - dude, you don't seem technological. You're just plain addicted.





SAGAN: We are releasing vast quantities of carbon dioxide, increasing the greenhouse effect. It may not take much to destabilize the Earth's climate, to convert this heaven, our only home in the cosmos, into a kind of hell.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 6:30 PM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
The fact that you think those are standout achievements only emphasizes your backwardness. It's funny to hear you boast about things so definitively when you have no clue who you are talking with... wait... I mean it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how? The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts. You revealed something about yourself maybe you should have kept hidden. So, is this like a lot of your other 'facts' you so proudly post?

FWIW - in 1974 I was backplaning a computer. Oh, you don't know what that means? Poor baby. Four years later I was writing a LIMS. Don't know what that is either? Look it up. Now I'm upgrading our system to (securely) network with 'the cloud'.

And that you are so adamantly defensive of you and the others who ceaselessly tweet drivel - dude, you don't seem technological. You're just plain addicted.



Wow, in 1974 you did something. Cool. That would be 40 FUCKING YEARS AGO. *Today* the world changes every 3 months. Thanks for confirming how backward you both are, granny.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 6:45 PM

1KIKI

Goodbye, kind world (George Monbiot) - In common with all those generations which have contemplated catastrophe, we appear to be incapable of understanding what confronts us.


AAANNNd you completely ignored the rest of my post - including what I'm doing NOW.

Figures.

But then I already knew you were a lying cowardly asshole.




SAGAN: We are releasing vast quantities of carbon dioxide, increasing the greenhouse effect. It may not take much to destabilize the Earth's climate, to convert this heaven, our only home in the cosmos, into a kind of hell.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 7:29 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Quote:

The fact that you think those are standout achievements only emphasizes your backwardness. It's funny to hear you boast about things so definitively when you have no clue who you are talking with... wait... I mean it's just empty-headed bravado.
And you do... what with your "computer skills"?

Hack secrets from the NSA?

I doubt it!

Quote:

Spoken like a true grandma - "Those darn kids! Get off my lawn!"


So, when you have nothing substantive to say, you resort to snark.

Do you do anything more than play with iPhone apps?

I doubt that too.

But hey, feel free to boast of your prowess here, if you have any.




--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 7, 2015 9:06 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Oh, MRG probably thinks he's part of a "Twitter revolution", like the Arab Spring. Some people think that if not for Twitter, the uprisings wouldn't have happened at all. What most people don't realize is that half of the Egyptian hashtags originated in Israel. It's incredibly easy to tweet misinformation.

Another problem with Twitter, FB, and Youtube etc is that they can create "flash-in-the-pan" movements. Remember Kony 2012? The Ice Bucket Challenge? What did they accomplish?

Nothing.

Merely following/ retweeting/ clicking on a button isn't effective. People actually have to DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL in real life... like go to a demonstration and risk getting shot at maybe, or go on strike, or at least stop buying a product.

So, on a more metaphysical level, when I said that people were mesmerized by their own digital reflection, I didn't just mean that they were living their lives through their own duck-faced selfies on the inet.

"In the old days", you had to get along with your family, your neighbors, your classmates, your co-workers no matter how "out there" they (or you) were. You had to listen the same lamestream news and watch the same TV shows, no matter how much you disagreed with them.

But with a world-full of opinions available now, it's far too easy to surround yourself with like- minded people: select the tweets that you want to follow, the friends you want, the opinions you agree with. Think of the most obscure or illegal or just plain bizarre activity, and you can find a nice comfortable group to do that with.

Yes, the internet has huge potential for communication, but most people don't communicate with people who are different, they communicate with people who are the same. They stick with the agreeable and the convenient, and thus they lose the ability to communicate at all.

-----------------

On another note, I don't make any claim to be a computer expert, but I know someone who is - certainly more than MRG thinks he is.

This person, who knows pretty much everything there is to know about computers (including AI) is rather disparaging of them, and the use that people have made of them.

One of the things he said is that Einstein didn't have a computer. Neither did Newton. Or Maxwell. And yet, we still use their equations.

The other thing he said is that computers are like guns in the hands of babies. They allow people to calculate all kinds of technological things (like nanoparticles or AI) that they don't understand and can't predict.


--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 6:12 AM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.



You have to hold your fingers away from the lens, Jesus, c’mon.



Ok, I have to say: this was funny.

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:35 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Werner Herzog isn't as famous a German as Albert Einstein, but then Einstein didn't film a documentary with his warning about technology.

Herzog filmed stories of serious traffic accidents caused by texting and told by the surviving victims.

"From One Second to the Next" (2013) www.imdb.com/title/tt3108864/

Trailer:


Complete Movie:



The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:36 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
The fact that you think those are standout achievements only emphasizes your backwardness. It's funny to hear you boast about things so definitively when you have no clue who you are talking with... wait... I mean it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how?



Because she just posted it? You don't read much do you?

Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts.



Show me one example - come on genius, just one.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:39 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
AAANNNd you completely ignored the rest of my post - including what I'm doing NOW.

Figures.

But then I already knew you were a lying cowardly asshole.



Right, you're working with dump dump duh: >>>The Cloud<<< oooooooo-my!
Kiki exhibiting the usual lack of class intelligence.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 8:45 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Oh, MRG probably thinks he's part of a "Twitter revolution", like the Arab Spring. Some people think that if not for Twitter, the uprisings wouldn't have happened at all. What most people don't realize is that half of the Egyptian hashtags originated in Israel. It's incredibly easy to tweet misinformation.

Another problem with Twitter, FB, and Youtube etc is that they can create "flash-in-the-pan" movements. Remember Kony 2012? The Ice Bucket Challenge? What did they accomplish?

Nothing.



>>>> $100 million is nothing? I think people suffering from ALS might disagree. http://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-money-has-als-ice-bucket-challenge-rai
sed-more-100-million-has-poured-where-will-1677980


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Merely following/ retweeting/ clicking on a button isn't effective. People actually have to DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL in real life... like go to a demonstration and risk getting shot at maybe, or go on strike, or at least stop buying a product.



>>>> The Signym lecture is here! How people should live their lives according to Signym! Do it my way - control control control.

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
So, on a more metaphysical level, when I said that people were mesmerized by their own digital reflection, I didn't just mean that they were living their lives through their own duck-faced selfies on the inet.

"In the old days", you had to get along with your family, your neighbors, your classmates, your co-workers no matter how "out there" they (or you) were. You had to listen the same lamestream news and watch the same TV shows, no matter how much you disagreed with them.

But with a world-full of opinions available now, it's far too easy to surround yourself with like- minded people: select the tweets that you want to follow, the friends you want, the opinions you agree with. Think of the most obscure or illegal or just plain bizarre activity, and you can find a nice comfortable group to do that with.

Yes, the internet has huge potential for communication, but most people don't communicate with people who are different, they communicate with people who are the same. They stick with the agreeable and the convenient, and thus they lose the ability to communicate at all.



>>>> You know this because you asked most of human kind?


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
On another note, I don't make any claim to be a computer expert, but I know someone who is - certainly more than MRG thinks he is.



>>>> You know this how?

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
This person, who knows pretty much everything there is to know about computers (including AI) is rather disparaging of them, and the use that people have made of them.

One of the things he said is that Einstein didn't have a computer. Neither did Newton. Or Maxwell. And yet, we still use their equations.



>>>> And just Imagine what they could have done if they had - that's probably too much for you to wrap your brain around.

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
The other thing he said is that computers are like guns in the hands of babies. They allow people to calculate all kinds of technological things (like nanoparticles or AI) that they don't understand and can't predict.



>>>> possibly the lamest simile ever posted

The mountain of dumb-shittery that you and Kiki post is just staggering.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-money-has-als-ice-bucket-challenge-rai
sed-more-100-million-has-poured-where-will-1677980

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:30 AM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


"I have the impression that the images that surround us today are worn out, they are abused and useless and exhausted. They are limping and dragging themselves behind the rest of our cultural evolution. When I look at the postcards in tourist shops and the images and advertisements that surround us in magazines, or I turn on the television, or if I walk into a travel agency and see those huge posters with that same tedious and rickety image of the Grand Canyon on them, I truly feel there is something dangerous emerging here. The biggest danger, in my opinion, is television because to a certain degree it ruins our vision and makes us very sad and lonesome. Our grandchildren will blame us for not having tossed hand-grenades into TV stations because of commercials. Television kills our imagination and what we end up with are worn out images because of the inability of too many people to seek out fresh ones." -- Werner Herzog from Herzog on Herzog Paperback – July 9, 2003
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001348/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:14 AM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Quote:

Originally posted by AURaptor:
The lure of the 'net, of being connected, via social media or just checking stocks,scores, weather, etc... can be addicting. I see it everywhere. At football games,concerts, what not... folks " connecting " with their friends and family, the ones who AREN'T there, more than those who are actually sitting next to them.



Yeah, that's so sad being connected to so many people as opposed to just the ones sitting next to us... < / snarkasm > Imagine if we never communicated with any people here... from so many different countries... so many divergent points of view... ?



You're missing the point. We otherwise wouldn't be exchanging views, as we'd never meet. That's totally different than sitting next to your friends or family, at a concert, graduation, or just dinner, ignoring them, so you can post comments about what someone else posted, on their facebook page.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:55 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Oh, MRG probably thinks he's part of a "Twitter revolution", like the Arab Spring. Some people think that if not for Twitter, the uprisings wouldn't have happened at all. What most people don't realize is that half of the Egyptian hashtags originated in Israel. It's incredibly easy to tweet misinformation.

Another problem with Twitter, FB, and Youtube etc is that they can create "flash-in-the-pan" movements. Remember Kony 2012? The Ice Bucket Challenge? What did they accomplish?

Nothing.



>>>> $100 million is nothing? I think people suffering from ALS might disagree. http://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-money-has-als-ice-bucket-challenge-rai
sed-more-100-million-has-poured-where-will-1677980


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Merely following/ retweeting/ clicking on a button isn't effective. People actually have to DO SOMETHING MEANINGFUL in real life... like go to a demonstration and risk getting shot at maybe, or go on strike, or at least stop buying a product.



>>>> The Signym lecture is here! How people should live their lives according to Signym! Do it my way - control control control.

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
So, on a more metaphysical level, when I said that people were mesmerized by their own digital reflection, I didn't just mean that they were living their lives through their own duck-faced selfies on the inet.

"In the old days", you had to get along with your family, your neighbors, your classmates, your co-workers no matter how "out there" they (or you) were. You had to listen the same lamestream news and watch the same TV shows, no matter how much you disagreed with them.

But with a world-full of opinions available now, it's far too easy to surround yourself with like- minded people: select the tweets that you want to follow, the friends you want, the opinions you agree with. Think of the most obscure or illegal or just plain bizarre activity, and you can find a nice comfortable group to do that with.

Yes, the internet has huge potential for communication, but most people don't communicate with people who are different, they communicate with people who are the same. They stick with the agreeable and the convenient, and thus they lose the ability to communicate at all.



>>>> You know this because you asked most of human kind?


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
On another note, I don't make any claim to be a computer expert, but I know someone who is - certainly more than MRG thinks he is.



>>>> You know this how?

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
This person, who knows pretty much everything there is to know about computers (including AI) is rather disparaging of them, and the use that people have made of them.

One of the things he said is that Einstein didn't have a computer. Neither did Newton. Or Maxwell. And yet, we still use their equations.



>>>> And just Imagine what they could have done if they had - that's probably too much for you to wrap your brain around.

Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
The other thing he said is that computers are like guns in the hands of babies. They allow people to calculate all kinds of technological things (like nanoparticles or AI) that they don't understand and can't predict.



>>>> possibly the lamest simile ever posted

The mountain of dumb-shittery that you and Kiki post is just staggering.

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-money-has-als-ice-bucket-challenge-rai
sed-more-100-million-has-poured-where-will-1677980

May I point out that in this entire diatribe of assery, MRG has not made one original comment, or regaled us with HIS computer skills???

So, MRG, what ARE your computer skills - beyond lying online, and Twitter, FB, Youtube, and Instagram .... assuming you have any?

Or are you just another one of those shallow, distracted, elder-haters who think they know everything because they can play with the technology that their forbears built?


C'mon, big boy- show us your stuff!




--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 12:57 PM

JONGSSTRAW

We carry in our hearts the true country, and that cannot be stolen.


So Jeff, what do you think about guys who text and play games on their phones instead of talking to pretty girls right beside them?






NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 2:15 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


bumpity

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 2:58 PM

1KIKI

Goodbye, kind world (George Monbiot) - In common with all those generations which have contemplated catastrophe, we appear to be incapable of understanding what confronts us.


... it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how?
The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts.

Show me one example - come on genius, just one.

How about this one?

... it's just empty-headed bravado.




SAGAN: We are releasing vast quantities of carbon dioxide, increasing the greenhouse effect. It may not take much to destabilize the Earth's climate, to convert this heaven, our only home in the cosmos, into a kind of hell.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, March 8, 2015 3:02 PM

1KIKI

Goodbye, kind world (George Monbiot) - In common with all those generations which have contemplated catastrophe, we appear to be incapable of understanding what confronts us.


"... because they can play with the technology that their forbears built?"

I don't think it even goes that far. He knows people, who know people, who work for the NSA ... yanno, cause he's Geezer, the one who claimed that the US never had nothin' to do with any of the juntas and death squads in South and Central America, because he had access to super secret classified records that said so.

Isn't that right Geezer? I mean GeeWhiz.

So, tell me Geezer ... I mean GeeWhiz ... POP QUIZ - What does it mean to backplane a computer? Quick now! Or I'm going to think you don't know.




SAGAN: We are releasing vast quantities of carbon dioxide, increasing the greenhouse effect. It may not take much to destabilize the Earth's climate, to convert this heaven, our only home in the cosmos, into a kind of hell.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 8:31 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
... it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how?
The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts.

Show me one example - come on genius, just one.

How about this one?

... it's just empty-headed bravado.




That's a lie??? Her boasting about something a 12 year old can do is empty-headed bravado - a definite fact.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 8:35 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:

May I point out that in this entire diatribe of assery, MRG has not made one original comment, or regaled us with HIS computer skills???

So, MRG, what ARE your computer skills - beyond lying online, and Twitter, FB, Youtube, and Instagram .... assuming you have any?

Or are you just another one of those shallow, distracted, elder-haters who think they know everything because they can play with the technology that their forbears built?


C'mon, big boy- show us your stuff!





I 'll leave the shameless boasting to you - something we can all witness that you do very well and often.

I'm curious about your intelligence though... where did you find these?

"beyond lying online, and Twitter, FB, Youtube, and Instagram..."

do you have examples? Are they in the same thread where you lied/mistook me using MSM sources? You haven't addressed that yet - hiding?

How about the nazi salutes? Any thoughts on those?







NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:15 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


You're talking to the wrong person, dood. KIKI didn't post the Yats picture, I did, and I addressed it in the thread where it occurred.

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:34 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
"... because they can play with the technology that their forbears built?"

I don't think it even goes that far. He knows people, who know people, who work for the NSA ... yanno, cause he's Geezer, the one who claimed that the US never had nothin' to do with any of the juntas and death squads in South and Central America, because he had access to super secret classified records that said so.

Isn't that right Geezer? I mean GeeWhiz.

So, tell me Geezer ... I mean GeeWhiz ...

Well, I did kinda wonder why Geezer disappeared and G showed up. If they're really the same person they do speak with a different voice. If so, how did Geezer do that - release his inner idiot child?

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:40 PM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Oh, back to this ...

Quote:

Her boasting about something about something a 12 year old can do is empty-headed bravado
Where was I "boasting"? Where was I demonstrating "empty headed bravado"?

Be specific.



--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:47 PM

STORYMARK


Its not even a real quote.

But ya'll may continue ferociously defending your lawns.



“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”? Isaac Asimov

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 6:32 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
Quote:

Originally posted by G:
OMG! Change! How old are you people? Just because you can't figure how to actually use your phones you want to dump on the young people, on a forum no less - crassic.
Young people who are out with their friends, at the museum, at the stadium, driving around in a rad convertible... yeah, they look pathetic.


Does anybody know if this post is satire or caricature? Or does G want to be at the same intersection as the driver of a 5 ton truck piloted by a young person ignoring the stopsign/red light in favor of their facebook update or tweet?


Niether - it's criticism. As people age they become more and more reluctant to change, to learn new things, and often become crabby, lazy simpletons. They live in the past because it's easier.



You sound like one of the young, incompetent, lazy simpleton know-it-alls - or at least you regurgitate that viewpoint. You even manage to fail in usage of your spellchecker that you seem so dependent upon.
Until people age and mature they remain more and more reluctant to learn, unable to view the world outside of their own selfish desires and fishbowl existence, and often become dependent upon their toys, becoming lazy simpletons. They cannot conceive of the past because they only care about themselves and what little they have learned, while still deluding themselves that they know everything, and cannot learn anything from those with more experience. They would rather burn their hand on the stove than learn from their older sibling who already burned their hand.
You think you are the only person in the history of the world who has heard of "multitasking" and think you are the master, overestimating your competence, and discount the very simple reason that it has become outlawed. Many understand that your overconfidence is simply God's way of weeding out the stupid, but it still irritates the population because you kill innocents along with your retarded self and friends. If you insisted solely upon being the next Nominee for Darwin Award, it would be far more palatable for us - but since you insist upon killing others with your stupidity it becomes our concern.
Quote:


Texting is illegal in almost all states, and most states have introduced bans on use of cell phones while driving. I hope that becomes law soon as well.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-tex
ting-while-driving-laws.aspx


And yet your quoted post appears to be endorsing drivers keeping their eyes off the road by texting while driving - and with a carload of passengers, to boot.

Does anybody think G realizes he is the subject of the thread title, to begin with?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, March 9, 2015 10:57 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:

You sound like one of the young, incompetent, lazy simpleton know-it-alls

http://xkcd.com/1496/

"It's my most ambitious project yet, judging by the amount of guacamole."

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:59 AM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by JEWELSTAITEFAN:
You sound like one of the young, incompetent, lazy simpleton know-it-alls - or at least you regurgitate that viewpoint. You even manage to fail in usage of your spellchecker that you seem so dependent upon.
Until people age and mature they remain more and more reluctant to learn, unable to view the world outside of their own selfish desires and fishbowl existence, and often become dependent upon their toys, becoming lazy simpletons. They cannot conceive of the past because they only care about themselves and what little they have learned, while still deluding themselves that they know everything, and cannot learn anything from those with more experience. They would rather burn their hand on the stove than learn from their older sibling who already burned their hand.
You think you are the only person in the history of the world who has heard of "multitasking" and think you are the master, overestimating your competence, and discount the very simple reason that it has become outlawed. Many understand that your overconfidence is simply God's way of weeding out the stupid, but it still irritates the population because you kill innocents along with your retarded self and friends. If you insisted solely upon being the next Nominee for Darwin Award, it would be far more palatable for us - but since you insist upon killing others with your stupidity it becomes our concern.
Quote:


Texting is illegal in almost all states, and most states have introduced bans on use of cell phones while driving. I hope that becomes law soon as well.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-tex
ting-while-driving-laws.aspx


And yet your quoted post appears to be endorsing drivers keeping their eyes off the road by texting while driving - and with a carload of passengers, to boot.

Does anybody think G realizes he is the subject of the thread title, to begin with?



I can only speak about the young people I know, and they are a very curious bunch. In fact, I am usually pretty negative about young people (like a lot of you seem to be) until I actually talk to them. They seem a hell of a lot more focused and brighter than I give them credit for as a group. They actually give me hope. I think it helps if you don't stereo type them and assume negatively that they are staring at nothingness on their phones.

No, I'm against texting while driving. I think it should be outlawed everywhere. I even think using cellphones while driving for anything should be against the law.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:53 PM

SECOND

The Joss Whedon script for Serenity, where Wash lives, is Serenity-190pages.pdf at www.mediafire.com/folder/1uwh75oa407q8/Firefly


Quote:

Originally posted by G:

No, I'm against texting while driving. I think it should be outlawed everywhere. I even think using cellphones while driving for anything should be against the law.

When the car radio was introduced, people freaked out: "In 1930, laws were proposed in Massachusetts and St. Louis to ban radios while driving. According to automotive historian Michael Lamm, “Opponents of car radios argued that they distracted drivers and caused accidents, that tuning them took a driver’s attention away from the road, and that music could lull a driver to sleep.”

Even the Auto Club of New York agreed. In their 1934 poll, 56 percent deemed the car radio a “dangerous distraction.”

"I was nearly killed by some guy who was texting while driving. It was 10 o’clock in the morning. I was returning from the gym. Driving on a side street, I saw the car coming towards me swerve gradually, then fully, into my lane. Though we were both going about 30 mph, it all seemed to be happening in slow motion. As the car got closer, I saw the young guy who was driving, holding his cell phone up on the steering wheel with one hand, while with the other, he was typing. He didn’t see me, or the road in front of him. I laid on the horn, and skidded onto someone’s front lawn to avoid a head-on collision. The guy swerved back into his lane and drove away." -- http://mentalfloss.com/article/29631/when-car-radio-was-introduced-peo
ple-freaked-out

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 8:05 PM

JEWELSTAITEFAN


Quote:

Originally posted by G:
Quote:

Originally posted by 1kiki:
... it's just empty-headed bravado.

And you know this - how?
The only thing I get out of your post is how quickly and easily you post lies and claim they're facts.

Show me one example - come on genius, just one.

How about this one?

... it's just empty-headed bravado.


That's a lie??? Her boasting about something a 12 year old can do is empty-headed bravado - a definite fact.


Apparently G divulges too much - here we learn that he is merely a 12-year-old pretending to be adult.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:44 AM

SIGNYM

I believe in solving problems, not sharing them.


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Oh, back to this ...

Quote:

Her boasting about something about something a 12 year old can do is empty-headed bravado
Where was I "boasting"? Where was I demonstrating "empty headed bravado"?

Be specific.


BUMP

--------------
You can't build a nation with bombs. You can't create a society with guns.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, March 14, 2015 5:24 PM

G

... fully loaded, safety off...


Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Quote:

Originally posted by SIGNYM:
Oh, back to this ...

Quote:

Her boasting about something about something a 12 year old can do is empty-headed bravado
Where was I "boasting"? Where was I demonstrating "empty headed bravado"?

Be specific.


BUMP



Do I have to quote your own posts back to you?
OK:

"For sure, I know more about "technology" than you do, and probably more about computers. (HINT: Have you built your own? Ever written a progam?) Clearly, I know how to access the internet. I can do searches. I can view Twitter all I want." I guess it makes sense for someone as conceited as you to not think that is empty-headed boasting.

Look, 9 year old Microsoft genius:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/05/17/marco.calasan.macedonia/

The only question is: what took you so long?

BUMP

I'm curious about your intelligence though... where did you find these?

"beyond lying online, and Twitter, FB, Youtube, and Instagram..."

do you have examples? Are they in the same thread where you lied/mistook me using MSM sources? You haven't addressed that yet - hiding?

Any examples? Denying? Avoiding? Deflecting? Lying?

For others who think the cell phone is the end of social civilization:





Maybe we should ban books and newspapers?


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Game Companies are Morons.
Fri, December 15, 2017 16:35 - 71 posts
Dow @ 20K. Time to jump off!
Fri, December 15, 2017 15:08 - 128 posts
Fareed: Trump BS
Fri, December 15, 2017 14:52 - 12 posts
God bless Alabama
Fri, December 15, 2017 13:21 - 40 posts
A thread for Democrats Only
Fri, December 15, 2017 12:56 - 240 posts
"Why I'm Opposed to Title II Net Neutrality"
Fri, December 15, 2017 07:41 - 12 posts
Scumbags and Broomsticks 2017-2018 Awards
Fri, December 15, 2017 04:15 - 6 posts
Male Role Models
Thu, December 14, 2017 23:54 - 130 posts
this is what a starving polar bear looks like
Thu, December 14, 2017 23:35 - 7 posts
Countdown Clock to Trumps impeachment " STARTS"
Thu, December 14, 2017 23:09 - 749 posts
Evidence the Syrian government sponsors IS
Thu, December 14, 2017 18:51 - 14 posts
Putin Orders Withdrawal Of Russian Troops During Surprise Syria Visit
Thu, December 14, 2017 18:49 - 6 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL