Sign Up | Log In
BROWNCOAT ID#:3049 SINCE: 2003.07.23 12:41 LAST HERE: 2012.04.04 09:35 CREDITS: 1414
Freedom is Important because People are Important
Lumanist Principles of Governance
1. Government has the legitimate responsibility and authority to protect the lives, safety, and rightful property of the individuals over which it has jurisdiction, and to enforce legal contracts.
2. Government should not impose cruel and unusual punishment on individuals who break laws, nor cause discomfort for the purpose of obtaining a confession, nor at any time impose discomfort upon criminals that is not explicitly necessary for the safety of the citizenry.
3. Government may not search or seize an individual's person or property without strong, compelling evidence of a crime. If a person or property is to be searched on suspicion of criminal activity, a legal document prepared by the judiciary shall be required to name specifically what person or places are to be searched, and for what specific articles. In the course of such seizure, discomfort and damage shall be minimized to what is absolutely necessary to obtain the person or property. Damage or loss caused by the government in the course of such seizure shall be fairly reimbursed and/or repaired in an expedient fashion.
4. Individuals have the right to have a fair trial and not to incriminate themselves. The government can only try an individual once for a crime.
5. Any rights or freedoms which are curtailed upon the incarceration of a criminal shall be restored upon the release of said criminal from incarceration. Any perpetual punishment shall demand perpetual incarceration at the cost of the state. Neither Death, Torture, nor Forced Labor shall be imposed upon any criminal.
6. Individuals have the right and responsibility to affect their government by voting to elect representatives, serving on juries, paying fair and reasonable taxes, and giving suggestions and information to the representatives. Representatives must make themselves available to their constituency.
7. Individuals have a right to speak and express their opinions freely without fear of government censorship or incarceration, and to assemble to criticize or discuss policies of the government without fear of reprisal.
8. Government may not restrict trading and commerce between informed and consenting partners, but it may enforce rules to prevent dishonesty.
9. Individuals have a right to privacy, and government shall not impose upon that privacy by legislating the details of relationships between competent, consenting individuals. Nor shall government legislate any detail of private life that does not expressly and provably infringe on the rights and freedoms of other citizens.
10. Government may legislate to preserve the cleanliness and biodiversity of the environment as such affects the well-being of its own citizens and the global community.
11. The right of the citizenry to preserve life and property from illegal harm or seizure shall not be questioned by government. Laws may be made to limit the severity of response to what is reasonably required to halt said harm or seizure. The constabulary shall abide by all such laws.
12. Any weaponry or defensive device deemed legal or legitimate to carry or employ amongst the constabulary shall also be legal to carry and employ amongst the citizenry at large. Any required training or certification for the use of equipment by the constabulary shall also be made available to the citizenry at large, provided at public expense and in a timely manner upon request.
13. Government must be separated from religious authority and from the undue influence of commercial enterprise.
14. Government shall have the power, upon the majority vote of the citizenry, to enact laws to maintain the universal health and welfare of the population, or to aid poverty-stricken segments of the population.
SEND ME A MESSAGE
YOU NEED TO BE LOGGED IN TO SEND A MESSAGE. YOU CAN LOGIN HERE.
LATEST BLOG ENTRY
BLUE SUN ITEMS
All FIREFLY graphics and photos on this page are copyright 2002-2012 Mutant Enemy, Inc., Universal Pictures, and 20th Century Fox.
All other graphics and texts are copyright of the contributors to this website.
This website IS NOT affiliated with the Official Firefly Site, Mutant Enemy, Inc., or 20th Century Fox.