GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

Ack! Real-life blue hands!

POSTED BY: ANKHAGOGO
UPDATED: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 17:07
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 4021
PAGE 1 of 1

Saturday, February 14, 2004 8:26 PM

ANKHAGOGO


Here's the creepiest/weirdest/surest indication that I'm a geek thing I've seen in many a day..

You know how security's gotten at the airports in the last few years?
At my airport, the security guys who examine the checked luggage wear blue rubber gloves. Let me rephrase that -- the TWO security men who examine luggage wear BLUE gloves which are exactly the same as the ones worn by the dudes who are after River.

Now -- imagine seeing this at 6.30 in the morning after getting 2 hours of sleep the night before.
It was a bit unnerving, I'll be honest. Anyone else notice this at their airport?

"But she was naked! And all...articulate!"

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, February 14, 2004 9:11 PM

AURAPTOR

America loves a winner!


Two by two, hands of blue




- Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, February 14, 2004 9:20 PM

GUNRUNNER


If they pull out a rod thing that makes a very high pitch noise run like hell!

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 15, 2004 2:41 AM

MRPLASTIC


Quote:

Originally posted by Ankhagogo:
Here's the creepiest/weirdest/surest indication that I'm a geek thing I've seen in many a day..

You know how security's gotten at the airports in the last few years?
At my airport, the security guys who examine the checked luggage wear blue rubber gloves. Let me rephrase that -- the TWO security men who examine luggage wear BLUE gloves which are exactly the same as the ones worn by the dudes who are after River.

Now -- imagine seeing this at 6.30 in the morning after getting 2 hours of sleep the night before.
It was a bit unnerving, I'll be honest. Anyone else notice this at their airport?



I haven't traveled by plane lately, but as a chemist I can tell you that either one of those guys or someone else who gets his/her gloves from the same box probably has a latex allergy: the blue gloves are standard, off-the-shelf nitrile rubber gloves, which are latex-free. They're more expensive than latex, but a little added cost beats respiratory arrest any day.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 15, 2004 3:47 AM

TEELABROWN


Blue Hands of the past (which is our present)?

_____________
"Freedom is the Freedom to say that 2+2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follws"-Winston, 1984
Teela Brown, keeper of bad typing.
"No one reads these things any way."- Bart on Blackboard

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 15, 2004 4:30 AM

SOUTHERNMERC


Just be careful, George Orwell looks to be right.

Very scary.

Jayne: "How big a room?"

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 15, 2004 1:09 PM

FIRELILY


hehe, I work in a lab and we use nitrile gloves. Guess that makes me a real-life blue hand too


---------------------------------------------------------
"Now they see sky, and they remember what they are."

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Sunday, February 15, 2004 2:45 PM

TEELABROWN


Quote:

Originally posted by SouthernMerc:
Just be careful, George Orwell looks to be right.

Very scary.



Yeah. That would be scary, and that's my current theory on Blue Sun. Police-state, which may not be as bad as the one in 1984

_____________
"Freedom is the Freedom to say that 2+2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follws"-Winston, 1984
Teela Brown, keeper of bad typing.
"No one reads these things any way."- Bart on Blackboard

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 5:55 AM

DTT


Hehe. I do volunteer work in an ER, and we use nitrile gloves, I guess just because so many people come in & out of the place.

With all the folks here using the nitriles, maybe we should start a group. You know, Blue Hand Group.

"You didn't have to wound that man."
"Yeah, I know. It was just funny."

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 6:00 AM

TEELABROWN


Quote:

With all the folks here using the nitriles, maybe we should start a group. You know, Blue Hand Group.


That's hi-larious! Even though I wouldn't be a part of it, that's a cool idea.

_____________
"Freedom is the Freedom to say that 2+2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follws"-Winston, 1984
Teela Brown, keeper of bad typing.
"No one reads these things any way."- Bart on Blackboard

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 6:34 AM

WERESPAZ


My fiance works in a lab and brought home a box of nitrile gloves (for cleaning and such) except these are Purple Knight ones, so they're puple not blue. If you start your group we could be an off shoot:

Two by two, hands of purple.

Doesn't rhyme though.

-The SpAz

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 6:46 AM

HEROPA


Quote:

...
Two by two, hands of purple.

Doesn't rhyme though.

-The SpAz



You people crazy like me!


You can't tell how fast a rig is when it's parked.
It is better to teach a lesson than to be left as an example.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 8:43 AM

SOJOURNER


I have another example. Last week a friend of mine from work needed help taking his car to the garage for new tires. I sat in my car and waited to give him a ride back to the the office. All of the sudden these two guys with blue latex gloves on come out to take the car in. Immediately I thought "two by two with hands of blue." I'm a big nerd. it was funny at the time.

--Bryan

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Monday, February 16, 2004 11:10 AM

LINDEN


While I don´t have a real life-example, I was watching an episode of CSI and I distinctly saw blue gloves (just like the ones in "Ariel") on the coroner guys. And Grissom said "shiny"!
Coincidence? I think not. The writers has to be Firefly fans.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 17, 2004 12:44 PM

KURUKAMI


I guess I'm one of those "real-life" ones... At the con I went to this past weekend, I dressed the part completely, black suit, black tie, white shirt, all the way down to the blue gloves themselves.

Alas, I didn't have a sproingy thing that gave off a high-pitched whining though. Oh well...

History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it merely shouts "Weren't you listening the first time?!?" and lets fly with a club.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 17, 2004 1:44 PM

ANKHAGOGO


Quote:

Originally posted by Kurukami:
I guess I'm one of those "real-life" ones... At the con I went to this past weekend, I dressed the part completely, black suit, black tie, white shirt, all the way down to the blue gloves themselves.
Alas, I didn't have a sproingy thing that gave off a high-pitched whining though. Oh well...
B]



I'm so glad I wasn't at that con. You would have freaked me out.
And now I hafta know -- anyone know who you were without asking you?

"But she was naked! And all...articulate!"

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 17, 2004 4:24 PM

TMURRIE


My...my god...we are...nerds...And I've never been a nerd about anything in my life but, yes I have seen the blue handed security bastards in the airport though.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, February 18, 2004 9:13 AM

KURUKAMI


Quite a number of people actually. A few people didn't get it at first, 'til I asked "Have you seen the series Firefly?" Then they picked up on it. I got at least two people interested in checking out the series, though, who said they were going to go out and buy the DVD set.

Anyways. The most common reaction was, "Hey, how ya doin', what's with oh my God you're one of those blue-hand guys from Firefly!" Next time I'll have to have someone take pictures of me.

History doesn't always repeat itself. Sometimes it merely shouts "Weren't you listening the first time?!?" and lets fly with a club.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 19, 2004 2:42 PM

ANKHAGOGO


Quote:

Originally posted by Kurukami:
Quite a number of people actually. A few people didn't get it at first, 'til I asked "Have you seen the series Firefly?" ....
Anyways. The most common reaction was, "Hey, how ya doin', what's with oh my God you're one of those blue-hand guys from Firefly!" Next time I'll have to have someone take pictures of me.



Excellent! Next time, maybe you should take a female friend who's got longish darkish hair and find her a pink sweater/skirt outfit and combat boots to wear.......hee heeeeee

"But she was naked! And all...articulate!"

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 19, 2004 2:45 PM

TEELABROWN


Quote:

Originally posted by Ankhagogo:
Quote:

Originally posted by Kurukami:
Quite a number of people actually. A few people didn't get it at first, 'til I asked "Have you seen the series Firefly?" ....
Anyways. The most common reaction was, "Hey, how ya doin', what's with oh my God you're one of those blue-hand guys from Firefly!" Next time I'll have to have someone take pictures of me.



Excellent! Next time, maybe you should take a female friend who's got longish darkish hair and find her a pink sweater/skirt outfit and combat boots to wear.......hee heeeeee



Yeah, and she should start spinning nonsense.

I also love that outfit.

_____________
"Freedom is the Freedom to say that 2+2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follws"-Winston, 1984
Teela Brown, keeper of bad typing.
"No one reads these things any way."- Bart on Blackboard

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, February 19, 2004 3:07 PM

HOTPOINT


Slightly O/T but I've had fun with Airport Security before

If you want to confuse and agitate them have a Paintball Marker (gun) in your luggage and declare it

They have no gorram idea what to do when you tell them the next suitcase they X-Ray is going to look like it's got an Uzi in it.

Just watch the guys in gloves get flustered

...................................
Hurrah, hurrah, when things are at their worst
With cries of “Death or Glory” comes the mighty Twenty-First

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Friday, February 20, 2004 3:31 AM

TAMFAMFAN


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you too can get your own Blue Hand Bozos! Impossible, you say? Not at all! Just commit a major felony and kidnap a student from one of our special mind-conrol facilities... did I say mind control facilities? I meant schools for the gifted. We, the Alliance will glady send you own pair of Blue Hands. And believe me, they are the gift that you'll find you will never be able to get rid of! And as an added bonus, we've completely removed remorse or sympathy from them, so they will stop at nothing to deliver themselves to you! Held by Alliance forces? No problem! A few dozen brain frapees, and it's home free!
Brought to you by the Alliance.Yes the Alliance, another fun game from Milton Bradley, makers of The Offices of Homeland Security and The FOX Network.

You look better in red.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, February 21, 2004 3:33 PM

ANKHAGOGO


Quote:

Originally posted by Hotpoint:
Slightly O/T but I've had fun with Airport Security before...



Semi-sorta OT as well......

A friend of mine just got back from Iraq, and either out of Iraq or out of Germany he had to have his bags searched.
Now keep in mind this is a military transport plane, with many military men on it.
The security guy told him that he couldn't carry his nail clippers on board, which may not sound weird--except that he was carrying an M-16 and a six inch long knife, just like every other guy on the plane!
But the nail clippers had to go!



"But she was naked! And all...articulate!"

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Saturday, February 21, 2004 3:38 PM

TEELABROWN


Quote:

Originally posted by TamFamFan:
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you too can get your own Blue Hand Bozos! Impossible, you say? Not at all! Just commit a major felony and kidnap a student from one of our special mind-conrol facilities... did I say mind control facilities? I meant schools for the gifted. We, the Alliance will glady send you own pair of Blue Hands. And believe me, they are the gift that you'll find you will never be able to get rid of! And as an added bonus, we've completely removed remorse or sympathy from them, so they will stop at nothing to deliver themselves to you! Held by Alliance forces? No problem! A few dozen brain frapees, and it's home free!
Brought to you by the Alliance.Yes the Alliance, another fun game from Milton Bradley, makers of The Offices of Homeland Security and The FOX Network.



Even though this sounds enticing, I must refuse this offer.



_____________
"Freedom is the Freedom to say that 2+2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follws"-Winston, 1984
Teela Brown, keeper of bad typing.
"No one reads these things any way."- Bart on Blackboard

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Tuesday, February 24, 2004 5:07 PM

ROCKETJOCK


Quote:


Quote:


the blue gloves are standard, off-the-shelf nitrile rubber gloves, which are latex-free. They're more expensive than latex, but a little added cost beats respiratory arrest any day.



Yet another blue glove story: My 16-year-old daughter is currently taking a CNA (Cerified Nursing Assistant) course at a local hospital. They put the students through a metric shitload of repetitive drill on fundamentals, such as the proper way to wash your hands, make a bed, and (tah dah) put on those damned blue gloves. She's keeping a full high school schedule in addition, so as you can guess, she's getting a little sleep deprived.

So, one session, during a particularly boring glove-putting-on-and-off session she started to drift off, falling asleep sitting up. And a classmate deciding it'll be cute to play "guess who", comes up behind her and puts his (blue gloved) hands over her eyes.

Had I mentioned that we had just watched "Ariel" a night or two before?

I tell you, that joker got more of a reaction that he expected...


RocketJock

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Rush Limbaugh dead at age 70
Thu, March 4, 2021 21:56 - 76 posts
Canadian actor Christopher Plummer dead at age 91
Wed, March 3, 2021 23:16 - 4 posts
NASA Lands the Perseverance Rover on Mars
Wed, February 24, 2021 23:22 - 12 posts
'Clarice' ... or How I Learned To Love My Lotion Bucket
Wed, February 17, 2021 19:08 - 3 posts
Victorian Female Batman???
Tue, February 16, 2021 21:04 - 46 posts
Where are the Extraterrestrial Civilizations
Tue, February 16, 2021 15:29 - 19 posts
Alan Tudyk Resident Alien Series Premiere Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 10/9c Syfy
Sat, February 6, 2021 19:47 - 7 posts
Joss to create new SciFi show for HBO, “The Nevers”
Thu, February 4, 2021 11:46 - 60 posts
Brenda? Are You Watching FBI: Most Wanted?
Sat, January 30, 2021 18:21 - 62 posts
The Rookie Season 3 Episode 1 airs tonight on ABC 1/3/2021! NEW! Nathan Fillion!
Wed, January 27, 2021 16:25 - 3 posts
WE WAITED 18 YEARS FOR A REBOOT AND DISNEY IS GOING TO DO IT...AND THEN STERILIZE COMPANIONS???!
Tue, January 26, 2021 21:51 - 93 posts
Actor Mira Furlan has died at age 65
Sat, January 23, 2021 13:38 - 6 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL