GENERAL DISCUSSIONS

I sent an email to the Dragon*Con staff

POSTED BY: PATIENCE
UPDATED: Thursday, September 7, 2006 06:52
SHORT URL:
VIEWED: 2629
PAGE 1 of 1

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:17 AM

PATIENCE


Dragon*Con was a great experience; we had a great time, and we do plan to go again next year.

However, there was one problem I saw. The staff at the Hyatt were repeatedly rude to myself and other convention-goers. That is NOT the way to run a hospitality business, and I sent an email to the folks at the Con letting them know about this problem.

Quote:

As a first time attendee of Dragon*Con, let me thank you all so much for your hard work that obviously went into planning a shindig of that size. Dealing with the public is never an easy task, and all of you are to be commended for the efforts put forth.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that perhaps someone with the power to do so from the Dragon*Con camp should get in touch with the powers that be at the Hyatt Regency. I'm sure that the staff there were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers; however, I myself thought, and overheard *several* other people say, that the staff members were very rude to the convention-goers. While our numbers were large, this is not the only large convention held at the Hyatt, and I'm sure the staff are used to dealing with large numbers of people in other instances. I can only hope that rudeness isn't the order of the day for the hotel, and respectfully recommend that this problem be researched before the next Con.

Again, thank you all for your efforts, and I look forward to next year.





Sincerely,
XxXxXxXx

_______________________________
You do that, and you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy lord.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:26 AM

KANEMAN


Oh god...Suck it up. What is this going to get accomplished? Waitress my potato is cold. Can you turn off the AC? I'm cold. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH... Jesus....Well, it's true.

PS. Thanks for letting us know.

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:30 AM

PATIENCE


Uh...no.

Sucking it up accomplishes nothing except assuring that unacceptable behavior or actions continue. I don't suck up to the Blue Haired Police at WalMart who want to paw through my bags, and I dang sure ain't gonna tolerate rudeness from somebody I'm *paying* to be hospitable.

If you choose to, that's your option.

_______________________________
You do that, and you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy lord.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:45 AM

SPACEANJL


Honey, that's a troll. Ignore it, and it will go away.

I work on the other side of the service industry, and damn right that if you are being paid to provide a service, EVEN IF THE CUSTOMER IS OBNOXIOUS, YOU DO YOUR BEST. You can snark about them out of earshot (and we won't go into the food trauma) but while you are taking their money, you are nice. Some people unfortunately sneer at anyone with an 'alternative' interest, though, and maybe the staff just had a total blank spot on it.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 10:57 AM

CITIZEN


I didn't find the staff rude, the guy in the liquer store across the street was an arsehole and I nearly got in a fight with some random guy in the shindig for stealing his hat (I gave it back though) but the hyatt staff seemed okay.



More insane ramblings by the people who brought you beeeer milkshakes!
No one can see their reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:10 AM

CITIZEN


There is no double post.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:21 AM

MANWITHPEZ

Important people don't do field work.


See!!! That's what happens when you molest a Pimpbot!!!

I didn't have a problem with staff..but, some of the other con-goers irked me to no end. I had a particularly bad elevator experience where I ended up seperated from my party...

And, security was very helpful, and patient, I thought...But, that's me.

I have to pee...

Kaylee: "What's so damn important about being proper? It don't mean nothing out here in the black."
Simon: "It means more out here. It's all I have..."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:22 AM

SERYN


citizen, you didn't just steal his hat - you pulled his head off and ripped the hat from it.

And thehn you were all english at him.

Bound to get a guy riled up somewhat.

But thats beside the point, some of the hyatt staff may have been rude, but not all, not by a long shot - certainly not any of the ones i met. Most of them were the soul or courtesy. Not to say that some of them couldn't have been better at their jobs (i've worked in hotels shops museums and more museums, so i know what is required) but with the numbers that were there, i had no big complaints, and one of them, the bald guy who sorted out the panel lines and everything, was an absolute star and deserved the clap he got in the centennial.

You're entitled to raise the issue of some staff not being to your satisfaction of course, i just wanted to stick up for the rest of them.



http://www.myspace.com/seryndippyt

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:27 AM

MUMMUNIT


I have to agree with you. After 14.5 hours on the road, we were informed that our room had been sold. Our 3 night reservation was guaranteed for a late arrival a week prior to the event with a credit card. We even called from the road that afternoon to double-check that our reservation would be safe since we were going to be arriving late. We asked if we needed to prepay for the remaining nights and were told that 'oh no, that won't be necessary. Everything is fine.'

After paying $40 dollars for Hyatt's overflow parking we arrived at the hotel and were treated rudely by security who, at first, resisted letting us into the hotel since we didn't yet have our badge. I assumed that our luggage would clearly indicate that we were trying to check in...

At the front desk we're told that our reservation had been sold and that no rooms were available. When I explained that we had guaranteed the room res for late arrival, he said that that didn't really mean anything. He actually told us that 'guaranteeing a room with a credit card does not mean the room is guaranteed.' I shit you not.

In the end they said they would pay for one night at the Hilton and that they had rooms available -- Kings only. Good thing the four of us like each other.

First time a the Con. Won't be the last. Had a blast, discovered Firefly, and met some very cool folk. Can't wait until next year. In the meantime, think I'll catch up on zzzz's.


NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:39 AM

CITIZEN


Quote:

Originally posted by seryn:
citizen, you didn't just steal his hat - you pulled his head off and ripped the hat from it.

And thehn you were all english at him.

Okay I tore his head off but I left the hat on.

You're blowing it all up out of all proportion!

How was the flight?



More insane ramblings by the people who brought you beeeer milkshakes!
No one can see their reflection in running water. It is only in still water that we can see.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 11:59 AM

PATIENCE


Quote:

Originally posted by mummunit:
I have to agree with you. After 14.5 hours on the road, we were informed that our room had been sold. Our 3 night reservation was guaranteed for a late arrival a week prior to the event with a credit card. We even called from the road that afternoon to double-check that our reservation would be safe since we were going to be arriving late. We asked if we needed to prepay for the remaining nights and were told that 'oh no, that won't be necessary. Everything is fine.'

After paying $40 dollars for Hyatt's overflow parking we arrived at the hotel and were treated rudely by security who, at first, resisted letting us into the hotel since we didn't yet have our badge. I assumed that our luggage would clearly indicate that we were trying to check in...

At the front desk we're told that our reservation had been sold and that no rooms were available. When I explained that we had guaranteed the room res for late arrival, he said that that didn't really mean anything. He actually told us that 'guaranteeing a room with a credit card does not mean the room is guaranteed.' I shit you not.

In the end they said they would pay for one night at the Hilton and that they had rooms available -- Kings only. Good thing the four of us like each other.

First time a the Con. Won't be the last. Had a blast, discovered Firefly, and met some very cool folk. Can't wait until next year. In the meantime, think I'll catch up on zzzz's.




I hope you intend to write to Hyatt's management (after you've rested, of course ;) )and let them know how you were treated. That was NOT acceptable at all. By keeping quiet you assure this treatment will continue to others and possibly for yourself.

I'm sorry for your bad experience.

The poster who mentioned that not all of the Hyatt's staff was bad was correct, of course, but enough of them were rude and obnoxious to warrant a complaint. Dragon*Con is HUGE business for them, and if enough complaints are received, the Hyatt *will* take note.

_______________________________
You do that, and you'd best make peace with your dear and fluffy lord.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 12:50 PM

MAI


I'm sorry it's all my fault.
(but it was very funny!) the fight not the bad services... though i suppose that was probably all me too.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 1:02 PM

FIREFLYGAL


You may not want to hear this Mummunit but there was a huge sign in the lobby of the Hyatt saying rooms were still available! While I was not treated rudely by the Hyatt staff, having rooms available and saying they don't is BS, not to mention "guaranteeing" a room, which apparently doesn't mean you're guaranteeing a room. Well, then what does it mean?? Just thought I'd throw this into the fray. This is why I stay at the Marriott.

I aim to misbehave!

Firefly items:
For lapel pins and badge holder lanyards
e-mail FireflyGal1@hotmail.com
www.outtotheblack.com
www.cafepress.com/fillies
www.cafepress.com/fireflyflan

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 1:13 PM

TRAVELER


Citizen:

It was an orange Jayne hat I hope. Good job then.
Hate to think you wasted your effort on some nondiscript hat.

Sounds like it was fun. The Photos we received looked like it was.

Enjoyed seeing all the orange knit hats on peoples heads and alot of Kaylee umbrellas.

Did you think of getting an umbrella too.

They would make a fine matched set.


Traveler

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 1:20 PM

BROWNCOATRISING


Quote:

Originally posted by traveler:
Citizen:

It was an orange Jayne hat I hope. Good job then.
Hate to think you wasted your effort on some nondiscript hat.

Sounds like it was fun. The Photos we received looked like it was.

Enjoyed seeing all the orange knit hats on peoples heads and alot of Kaylee umbrellas.

Did you think of getting an umbrella too.

They would make a fine matched set.


Traveler




No, not a Jayne hat. This will go down in my book as the "Pimprot incident." I was actually a little scared for Citizen for a moment. Pimprot was severely lacking in the sense of humor department.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 1:55 PM

KANEMAN


Quote:

Originally posted by fireflygal:
You may not want to hear this Mummunit but there was a huge sign in the lobby of the Hyatt saying rooms were still available! While I was not treated rudely by the Hyatt staff, having rooms available and saying they don't is BS, not to mention "guaranteeing" a room, which apparently doesn't mean you're guaranteeing a room. Well, then what does it mean?? Just thought I'd throw this into the fray. This is why I stay at the Marriott.

I aim to misbehave!

Firefly items:
For lapel pins and badge holder lanyards
e-mail FireflyGal1@hotmail.com
www.outtotheblack.com
www.cafepress.com/fillies
www.cafepress.com/fireflyflan




I get this feeling you WORK at the Marriott....

NOTIFY: N   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 3:37 PM

PLUTOMOMENT


The problem with the Hyatt (and they were up front about it, even had a letter slipped under the doors explaining it on Saturday) was that they had FEMA holed up for a week waiting for a hurricane that didn't happen. We got shoved (4 of us) into one of the awful pie shaped Ivy tower rooms where the bathrooms don't have real doors. The Hyatt staff was exceptionally nice to us, the guy claimed he was trying to give us a suite but couldn't work it in the system because of the con rate. They called every 15 minutes for about an hour to check on if our roll away bed had arrived yet. This is all after coming in at 4:00 and being told "we're sorry there are no rooms right now come back later" and not getting back til 8 (my husband left to come pick me up from work). We were told FEMA would be leaving in the morning and they could make changes then.
First thing Saturday morning (well 10 am) we put in a room change request and they called our cell phone as soon as a double room was clean for us (around 1).

I think they made a poor choice with letting FEMA be there, though I don't know if they had a choice in that. The rooms that were available at the con rate later in the weekend were probably the rooms left open by FEMA and not claimed by other con goers who went to other hotels. We never did use the free breakfast vouchers they gave us as compensation (they gave them to everybody who made a stink I think) cause we never were up early enough or had a panel to run to instead of eat.

Usually the Hyatt is pretty good and the staff is usually amused by all us crazies. We've been staying there for the past 5 years, my husband even longer.

I have to add to this that we are Hyatt gold passport members and while this is a free service it might have colored our treatment.

Heather
SEBC Vice-Chair
www.SoutheasternBrowncoats.org

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 7:51 PM

D3RBY


I saw all the FEMA people when we arrived on Thursday and thought "Damn that is a lot of Stargate fans".

They tried to stick my room of friends and I in one king bed which wasn't going to happen.

Overall this year my dealings with the Hyatt staff were as good or better than in the past (2005 was the only time I ever had a problem).

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 7:52 PM

BOOMERGOODHEART


There's been a lot of complaining on LiveJournal about the front desk treatment at the Hyatt this year. No rooms available, check in/out nightmares, the dude in charge not understanding english...Mind you, this is the front end services, everyone who's complained about that has raved about everyone else that works there. In an industry where you're entire stay can be colored by a bad first impression, you'd think they'd know better. Notice that neither the Hilton nor the Marriott gave FEMA rooms--they knew better with D*C in town.

We stay in the Marriott and haven't had any problems at all.

BoomerGoodheart
"I love my Captain."

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:26 AM

BAD2VERSE


Quote:

Originally posted by Patience:
Dragon*Con was a great experience; we had a great time, and we do plan to go again next year.

However, there was one problem I saw. The staff at the Hyatt were repeatedly rude to myself and other convention-goers. That is NOT the way to run a hospitality business, and I sent an email to the folks at the Con letting them know about this problem.



The top of the Hyatt escalators were where the POLICE got rude.. there is a BIG planter at the top of the Escalators that creates a bottle neck, and the Police were yelling "KEEP MOVING" to the people getting off the escalators, one even started pushing people forward, and there was no where to go... and with my back condition, I didn't need to be "Pushed" which is why I flipped out the Gov ID and said "Don't PUSH me".. and he backed WAY the hell off...

One Hyatt Employee at the Escalators (again) said "Are you people brain dead?" to a small crowd that was STUCK because the people up front couldn't squeeze past that planter and rail.

They REALLY need to do away with that planter bottleneck if they want to keep crowds moving.

And another (Dragon*Con?) Employee yelled at us "You can't come in this door, hit the back of the line like everyone else" until we said "Isn't this where handicapped access comes in?" Then she BOTHERED to look at our badges (Hanging there in plain sight) and just yanked the door open and said "Get on in then!"...

I understand being tired and dealing with crowds, but if SHE'D had a name tag on, She'd be mentioned in a letter FOR SURE.

________________________
..but eatin people alive, where does THAT get fun?

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

Thursday, September 7, 2006 6:52 AM

KYRIE


I do have to say that there were a couple of very helpful staff members who tried to offset the rude behavior of others and after completely wasting Friday trying to get the reservation nightmare straightened out, Ermin at the Hyatt went out of his way to make sure the rest of our weekend went smoothly.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

NOTIFY: Y   |  REPLY  |  REPLY WITH QUOTE  |  TOP  |  HOME  

YOUR OPTIONS

NEW POSTS TODAY

USERPOST DATE

OTHER TOPICS

DISCUSSIONS
Where are the Extraterrestrial Civilizations
Mon, April 19, 2021 20:35 - 22 posts
Thread of GIFs
Mon, April 19, 2021 15:38 - 10 posts
Testing.
Sun, April 18, 2021 22:50 - 25 posts
Joss to create new SciFi show for HBO, “The Nevers”
Sun, April 18, 2021 10:08 - 65 posts
'Clarice' ... or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love My Lotion Bucket
Fri, April 16, 2021 16:51 - 11 posts
Brenda? Are You Watching FBI: Most Wanted?
Wed, March 24, 2021 17:00 - 76 posts
Firefly a ripoff of Andromeda?
Wed, March 17, 2021 07:39 - 44 posts
Did you notice Nathan Fillion in episode 7 of Alan Tudyk's new show Resident Alien?
Mon, March 15, 2021 09:05 - 9 posts
Rush Limbaugh dead at age 70
Thu, March 4, 2021 21:56 - 76 posts
Canadian actor Christopher Plummer dead at age 91
Wed, March 3, 2021 23:16 - 4 posts
NASA Lands the Perseverance Rover on Mars
Wed, February 24, 2021 23:22 - 12 posts
Victorian Female Batman???
Tue, February 16, 2021 21:04 - 46 posts

FFF.NET SOCIAL